HIGH SCHOOL ROUNDUP: Several G-A sports in action

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot


G-A advances to semifinals at Gettysburg tournament

GETTYSBURG — The Greencastle-Antrim varsity girls' volleyball team made it to the semifinals of Saturday's Gettysburg tournament.

The Blue Devils went 3-1 in pool play, winning against Fairfield (25-20, 25-7, 15-7), Steelton-Highspire (25-14, 25-13, 15-3) and Gettysburg (25-10, 25-19) before losing to Waynesboro (25-12, 25-15).

G-A won its quarterfinal match against Boiling Springs 25-13 and lost to Susquehannock in the semifinals 25-21.

Lauren Pool finished the tournament with 24 kills. Madi Kirkwood had 22 kills and 10 service aces. Haley Dawson had 15 aces, and Baylee Schaeffer added 10 aces and 23 digs.


Blue Devils split in Saturday competition

GREENCASTLE — The Greencastle-Antrim varsity boys' soccer team competed in two matches on Saturday. The Blue Devils defeated Susquehanna Township 1-0 and lost to Susquehannock by the same score.

Due to weather, games were cut to 30-minute halves.

In the opener, Greencastle's Gershon Bangura scored the game's only goal, assisted by Thomas Oberholzer, with 16:42 left to play in the second half.

Gavin Davidson made five saves in goal for the Blue Devils.

Connor Barrett tallied a goal with 4:35 left in the game for Susquehannock, which held on to preserve the win.

Davidson had eight saves.


Taryn Parks places 2nd at Oatlands Invitational

LEESBURG, Va. — The Greencastle-Antrim boys' and girls' cross country teams competed along with a host of teams from Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania and even South Carolina on Saturday at the Oatlands Invitational.

Taryn Parks was G-A's top female finisher as she placed second with a time of 18 minutes, 7 seconds. Bethany Graham of John Champe High School (Aldie, Virginia) won the invitational with a time of 17:57.

Weber Long finished 28th in the boys' run with a time of 17:02.


Greencastle loses twice at Blue Devil Challenge

GREENCASTLE — The Greencastle-Antrim varsity girls' soccer team lost a pair of games at home on Saturday.

After a weather delay, the Blue Devils lost to Susquehanna Township 1-0. The Blue Devils lost to Carlisle in the second match 3-2.

"We didn't finish the games like we wanted," said G-A coach Katie Herman. "I was very happy with some of the things I saw in both games, but ultimately we didn't finish on top. We have some things to improve on before we come out for our games this week."

Trailing 2-0 to the Thundering Herd, G-A came out strong in the second half with two goals. Mia Libby tallied on a one-on-one, and Avery Parks connected with a long shot that hit the top of the net.

Carlisle scored the winning goal with 15 minutes left to play.

The Herd outshot G-A 21-9, and Hope Stitely made 13 saves in goal for the Blue Devils.