Overtime win advances Greencastle-Antrim soccer in playoffs

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot
Somewhere under this pile is Zach Faulkner after scoring the game winning goal in overtime of the Greencastle-Antrim High School soccer team’s 2-1 district playoff overtime win Monday on Kaley Field. (Bob Stoler Photos)

One team finally rose above the fog of Kaley Field Monday night to nab a spot in the first-round bracket of the District 3-AA soccer playoffs. It was the home team that carried the day. Greencastle-Antrim scored a 2-1 win over Oley Valley in overtime to advance in the postseason.

The Blue Devils (9-7-1) made it exciting despite the misty conditions. G-A played from behind most of the game as the Lynx inked the scoreboard 20 minutes into the game. Coming into the second half down 1-0 the Blue Devil booters showed offensive resolve. During some intense pressure at the Oley Valley goal end the Devils earned a thrown-in five minutes into the half. Taylor Kirkpatrick executed the toss that was the beginning of a dramatic scoring sequence. Kirkpatrick directed the ball toward the box and the head of Zach Faulker. Faulkner headed the ball to the front of the goal to Corey Meyers, who put his head on it and sent it into the corner past the Lynx goal keeper.

G-A continued to pressure the Lynx defense and had some close misses. Oley Valley also made itself a few chances that were turned away by Devil keeper Josh Spoonhour. The result was the regulation buzzer with the score tied at one each. Cody Young just missed in overtime and the winning play started after an Oley Valley foul. Again it was Kirkpatrick who started the scoring opportunity with the direct kick that followed. And again it went to Faulkner’s head and from there over the goalie and into the net for the sudden death game winner.

The Devils have a challenge in the next round of the playoffs, facing top seeded Gettysburg. A familiar foe for G-A, the Warriors won the two teams’ division without a loss including two wins over the Devils.

Zach Faulkner beats two Oley Valley players to the ball. Faulkner scored the winning goal in overtime.