$1 billion Mega Millions jackpot winning ticket sold in Michigan
Someone in Michigan has a billion reasons to celebrate.
Only one ticket in Friday's $1.05 billion Mega Millions matched all six balls to claim the third largest jackpot in U.S. lottery history, according to the lottery website.
The winner will also have the option of choosing the $739.6 million cash option. The ticket was sold at a Kroger supermarket on Grand River Avenue in Novi, Michigan, which is about 8 miles northwest of Detroit. It was the 18th time the Mega Millions jackpot has been won in Michigan.
The winning numbers drawn on Friday, Jan. 21, 2021 were: 4 - 26 - 42 - 50 - 60 and Megaball 24. The Megaplier was 2x.
Powerball, Mega Millions: These are the luckiest states for jackpot winners
Ten other tickets sold for Friday's drawing matched all five white balls to take home million-dollar prizes. Tickets sold in New Jersey, New York (2), Florida (2), Maryland, Missouri and Pennsylvania all won $1 million. Meanwhile, two tickets sold in North Carolina and Virginia also had the Megaplier to take home $2 million.
Friday's $1 billion jackpot was the third largest time that a U.S. lottery history has reached the billion-dollar plateau. The two largest jackpots ever were a Powerball jackpot of $1.586 billion, won on Jan. 13, 2016, and a Mega Millions prize of $1.537 billion, won on Oct. 23, 2018.
The last time the Mega Millions jackpot was won came on Sept. 15, 2020, when a lottery player in Wisconsin took home $119 million.
Tuesday's jackpot will reset to $20 million with a cash option of $14.7 million, according to the Mega Millions website.
Powerball winner:$730 million Powerball jackpot won in Maryland
Top Mega Millions jackpots
- $1.537 billion, Oct. 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1 billion, Jan. 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $656 million, March 30, 2012: Three winners in Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- $648 million, Dec. 17, 2013: Two winners in California, Georgia
- $543 million, July 24, 2018: Won in California
- $536 million, July 8, 20116: Won in Indiana
- $533 million: March 30, 2018: Won in New Jersey
- $522 million: June 7, 2019: Won in California
- $451 million, Jan. 5, 2018: Won in Florida
- $437 million , Jan. 1, 2019: Won in New York
John Connolly is a breaking news editor for NorthJersey.com. For unlimited access to all the major news happening in North Jersey, subscribe here. To get breaking news directly to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter.