Greencastle will collect leaves weekly
Weekly leaf collection by the Greencastle Public Works Department for people who live in the borough will begin Oct. 14.
In previous years, the borough would collect leaves from front yards as long as they were raked to the curb.
"Every fall, the borough office receives requests from borough residents asking if the borough can pick up leaves in the yards of our citizens," Borough Manager Eden Ratliff noted in his report at last week's borough council meeting. "Borough staff proposes to provide an organized pickup leaf collection program beginning October 14th and running through the fall leaf season."
The collection schedule will be based on the quadrants of the borough:
- Mondays, northeast via North Carlisle Street and Baltimore Street
- Tuesday, southeast via Baltimore Street and South Washington Street
- Wednesday, southwest via South Washington Street and Baltimore Street
- Thursday, northwest via North Carlisle Street and Baltimore Street
"We ask people to really pay attention to the map," Ratliff said.
"Our new leaf collection program should provide a greater opportunity for residents to remove leaves from their properties and to keep leaves off our streets and alleyways and out of storm drains," Ratliff said.
- Leaves must be piled on the curb and away from light poles, mailboxes or anything that would prevent access.
- If the collection truck cannot reach the leaf, pile they will not be taken.
- Children should not play in or scatter leaves.
- No tree limbs, logs or other yard waste will be accepted.
- All vehicles, bicycles or other impediments must be removed from the street on collection day.
- Leaves must not block gutters or storm drains.
- The leaf collection program will end once it's determined leaves are no longer falling.
Anyone with questions can contact the borough at 717-597-7143, see Facebook (Borough of Greencastle) or visit: