Greencastle area man dies from fire injuries

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot

BALTIMORE, Md. — A man who was rescued from his burning Upton area home two weeks ago has died from injuries suffered in the blaze.

An obituary for Ralph Eugene Rubeck, 73, of 8857 Kuhn Road, Greencastle, said he died Wednesday, Jan. 15 at Johns Hopkins. Rubeck had been taken to the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, Md. for treatment of burn injuries after the 10:35 p.m. fire Thursday, Jan. 2.

Bruce Goldfarb of the Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner reported Rubeck died of complications from the burns he suffered and the smoke he inhaled in the accidental fire.

Authorities said Rubeck, who was in a wheelchair, was unable to escape the burning home in Peters Township before neighbors and family members got him out. Severe weather conditions prevented a helicopter transport to a medical facility. Rubeck was taken to Meritus Medical Center by ambulance before being transferred to Johns Hopkins where officials reported Jan. 6 that he was in critical condition.

Trooper Franklin Hershey Jr., PSP fire marshall, said through a press release that preliminary indications were that the fire originated in an addition to the single family home, near the chimney or wood stove. The addition was destroyed but the rest of the residence had only minimal damage. Firefighters were on the scene for 3 1/2 hours.

Rubeck is survived by three daughters, Donna Young of Greencastle, Rebecca Pentz of Greencastle, and Brenda Anderson of St. Thomas; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Funeral services are scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday, Jan. 20, at Antrim Brethren In Christ Church. A visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the Kelso-Cornelius Funeral Home, St. Thomas, and one hour prior to the service at the church Monday.