DISASTER

Family loses Grant Shook Road home in fire

PAT FRIDGEN, Echo Pilot
The yellow tulips by the decorative well are in stark contrast to the devastation left by fire Saturday morning to this Grant Shook Road home.

A family of five was displaced Saturday morning after their house caught fire. Greencastle Rescue Hose Company received the call at 7:55 a.m. for 13013 Grant Shook Road.

The three adults and two teenagers escaped, but a dog was lost in the blaze, said assistant fire chief Dave Hann.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a space heater behind a couch in the living room. Hann said the home was a total loss.

Two firefighters received non-life threatening injuries. Both were transported to Chambersburg Hospital. One was treated for a back injury and released that day, the other was treated for chest pains and held overnight.

Hann said the fire was under control in 45 minutes and firefighters were on the scene for four hours. Aid came from Wayesboro, Marion, Franklin, Chambersburg, Mercersburg, Maugansville, Long Meadow, Halfway and Washington County crews.

The family was assisted by the American Red Cross.