Sparks cause damage to Franklin County Commissioners office

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot

Franklin County Commissioners' office space was damaged Thursday by fire.

According to a news release from the county, the fire started on the roof of the two-story addition to the Commissioners' Office at 14 N. Main St., when sparks from demolition of the former Harmon's Building ignited hay on the roof of the addition.  Hay was being used to break the fall of potential debris from the demolition activity. According to the release, workers were cutting through concrete containing steel rebar, which caused the sparks.  The addition houses office space for county administration.  The fire started sometime after 1 p.m. and was extinguished by 3 p.m.

The fire damaged the roof above the second story conference room in the addition.  Water for extinguishing the fire damaged the conference room and office space below the conference room. There was minor smoke damage to the main office complex at 14 N. Main St., formerly known as the Chambersburg Trust Building.  No injuries were reported.

The commissioners and county staff whose offices are at 14 N. Main St. will be available by phone and e-mail on Friday, May 18, however no visitors will be received at that location.  The commissioners' office is expected to resume business as usual, including receiving visitors, on Monday, May 21.