Homicide suspect found in Antrim Township - UPDATED

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot
Joshua Tarmon

An investigation by local law enforcement led to the apprehension of a homicide suspect at an Antrim Township residence Oct. 5. The suspect, Joshua Michael Tarmon, 22, was wanted in York County in connection with the death of a baby. York County District Attorney Tom Kearney has indicated he may seek the death penalty in the case.

Pennsylvania State Police reported that troopers and officers from the Greencastle Police Department developed information that an individual wanted for homicide by West Manheim Township Police Department in Hanover was possibly in the area. Tarmon was taken into custody without incident at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at 12340 Grant Shook Road with the assistance of Greencastle and West Manheim police, along with the U.S. Marshal Service. Tarmon is being held without bail in York County Prison.

West Manheim Township Police said at a news conference Wednesday that Tarmon was apprehended at a rented trailer he shared with a female reported to be his new fiancé in Antrim Township. Tarmon has been charged with criminal homicide  and endangering the welfare of children in the death of 11-month-old Johnathan Matthew Nodine. The baby, the child of Tarmon’s fiancé at the time, died at the Hershey Medical Center on May 19 as a result of multiple traumatic brain injuries, according to police. Charging documents said Tarmon was in his car with the baby on May 14 when he phoned 911 and said that the child gasped for air and stopped breathing.

Authorities said during the news conference that Tarmon was instructed by 911 dispatchers to perform CPR on the baby. They said bystanders took over the CPR until relieved by police who arrived two minutes later. The child was first treated at Hanover Hospital and then flown to Penn State Hershey Medical Center.

Court records said a scan at the center showed a possible skull fracture and retinal hemorrhaging and an x-ray showed a fractured wrist. The baby was pronounced dead five days later after he was removed from life support. An autopsy indicated death was by homicide caused by traumatic brain injuries, including multiple subdural hematomas and contusions. Pathologist Dr. Wayne Ross of the Dauphin County Coroner’s Office found retinal hemorrhaging, retinal shearing and spinal cord injuries which were consistent with a non-accidental/abusive mechanism.

According to police, the child’s mother, Valerie Nodine, told them she and Tarmon met in April and were engaged in May. He moved into the home she shared with her parents three weeks before May 14. She told police that Tarmon was unemployed and that he was often with the baby.

Nodine reported to police that Tarmon has “anger management” issues and “doesn’t have much patience with kids.” She said he “never once smiled at Johnathan ever” and that he easily got “frustrated with Johnathan.”

Police said Nodine’s parents noticed a “busted lip” and cut under the child’s eye days before his death and following times he was solely in Tarmon’s care. Nodine and her parents noticed distinct changes in Johnathan’s health on May 13 after the child had been in Tarmon’s care for about three hours. Later that evening the child experienced vomiting and was taken to the hospital. Police said he did not vomit at the hospital and appeared to be playful and alert to the medical personnel who attended him and he was discharged. According to police, Tarmon was alone with Johnathan for seven hours and 40 minutes before the 911 call.

Tarmon was questioned by police multiple times and denied that any type of accident, fall or injury occurred while Johnathan was in his care. On May 27, Tarmon walked out of a police interview at the West Manheim Township station and has had no contact with investigators or the Nodine family since. Investigators monitored Tarmon as he moved to the Baltimore, Md. area, where he was working at a strip club. He was also known to frequent areas in West Virginia.

After obtaining an arrest warrant, West Manheim Township Police working with Baltimore City Fugitive Unit, Greencastle Police, Pennsylvania State Police and the U.S. Marshals tracked Tarmon from Maryland to Greencastle, where he was arrested without incident after police surrounded his trailer home.