Fires ruled accidental

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot
Greencastle Rescue Hose Company and other fire departments responded to fires at 485 East Ave. in State Line Saturday night. No one was injured and the house was inhabitable after three fires in five hours.

Three fires in one night at 485 East Avenue in State Line were ruled accidental by the Pennsylvania State Police fire marshall.

Franklin M. Hershey, Jr. reported that the first fire at 8:45 p.m. Aug. 28 was in the first floor living room. It was due to candles burning next to a window. They ignited a curtain. The residents  thought they put out that fire.

At 9:44 p.m. they spotted smoke and called the fire department. A fire burning in the wall on the second floor, directly above the first fire location, was extinguished by units from Greencastle, Marion, Maugansville, Long Meadow and Halfway. Fire personnel turned off the power to the house.

A tenant triggered the third fire at 1:14 a.m. Aug. 29 by turning on the circuit breakers. That caused three exposed wires to arc in a second floor bedroom, Hershey said. Fire companies returned to put out that fire in the southwest corner of the house.