Remembering 1961, Part I
By SHARON BAUMBAUGH
The year began with the Town Council settling the business of the year just ended, paying out a total of $1,100 in bills. The annual Teachers' Institute for the public schools of Greencastle and Antrim was held in the high school rooms on South Washington Street. And, work on the new Carl Building on the north side of East Baltimore Street, a three-story building, was delayed due to difficulty getting freight through on the congested railroad routes.
The Orpheus Band (History's Echoes, 'African-American Heritage', Feb. 17, 2015) was patronized at the fair and festival held in the Lininger Building at the corner of West Franklin and South Jefferson streets. The band also provided several concerts on the Square during that first month of the year.
It was reported that skating on First Dam was fine and that the young folks were enjoying it to the utmost. The ice was said to be the finest in many years. (First Dam was located in the southwestern quadrant of Antrim Township, just west of the borough.)
Petrie and Morganthall, proprietors of the Elmore Garage, were making plans for the construction of a new building in the spring. The property for the new garage was located at the corner of East Baltimore Street and South Cedar Lane. The new establishment would be fitted with the very latest and most approved equipment for automobile repair and upkeep.
The new Pensinger Block on East Baltimore Street was getting the white terra cotta trimmings put in place by the workmen of Jacob Shank's crew. The first floor would be occupied by Carl's Drug Store and would be equipped with every convenience necessary for a thoroughly modern and up-to-date pharmacy. Harry Zimmerman was doing the plastering; the oak finish was being handled by Contractor Shank's expert workmen; and the storeroom, with special fixtures and furniture were 'sure to put this business ahead of any drugstore in the valley'.
In February, the Greencastle School Board was taking preliminary steps for the planned construction of the proposed new building for South Washington Street. The form of bond to be used for the issue of $15,000 of 4 1/2 percent, was authorized during the November 1915 election. It was decided that bids for the erection of the new building would be sought in the near future. With the lack of a suitable room in Greencastle where meetings of a public nature might be held, the Board included in its plans a large auditorium in the basement of the building. The land would soon be cleared of the remains of the old public school building and work would begin on the new one to take its place. (The old school building was constructed in 1869.)
The Schaff Electric Company of Chambersburg completed the work on installing electric power in the Greencastle Elevator Co. plant at the south end of the borough. Electrical contractor J.W. Homer was putting the finishing touches on the electric fixtures in J. Edward Omwake's handsome new home on East Baltimore Street during this same time.
One of the town's smaller businesses, A.L. Grove's wagon making shop on East Spruce Lane, was enjoying remarkable trade. Mr. Grove employed six men in the plant and was turning out a large amount of new work, as well as doing much repair work. Soon, Mr. Grove would sell the business to S.G. Petrie and E.R. Weagley, who would continue at the 'old stand'.
Miss Minnie Henneberger, daughter of J.O. Henneberger, east of town, was appointed teacher at Mount Pleasant School. She was to succeed Miss Ruth Carbaugh, who had resigned.
For trespassing and loitering in and about the local Cumberland Valley passenger station on South Jefferson Street while in an intoxicated condition, three Hagerstown men were arrested and fined $7 each. The company was determined that such practices must stop.
Work was moving forward on the new garage on North Allison Street, near Baltimore Street. The business would be operated by Messrs. Minnich and Binkley.
In April, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Cort had a tract of 50 pages published containing services connected with the dedication Oct. 20, 1915, of a monument that marked the site of Fort Loudoun. The fort was erected by Col. John Armstrong for the Province of Pennsylvania in 1756.
That spring, Mrs. J.T. Conrad opened a tea and lunch room in her home at 37 W. Baltimore St. Luncheon would be served at all hours, with special attention given to serving ladies. Home preparations would be used in the dainty lunches provided. Mrs. Conrad was a most excellent cook and the new enterprise would 'doubtless become a popular stop'.
The House Library Committee in Washington voted in favor of the Linthicum Bill, directing the federal government to donate a site in Washington, D.C. for a monument to President James Buchanan. The President, born in Pennsylvania at Foltz (near Mercersburg), was to have a monument erected with $100,000, which was left by Mrs. Harriet Lane Johnson, a niece of the President.
The Hershey Condensing Company of Harrisburg was preparing to construct a plant at Williamson for the manufacture of milk flour and had already begun work on the foundation. The building was to be constructed on the site of the old ice house on Cedar Street.
A concert by the Pan Pipers Glee Club was to be given in the Gem Theater on East Baltimore Street. Tickets were being offered with reserved seats sold without extra charge. They were available at T.J. Clary's Store on Center Square.
J. Hostetter & Son, the Center Square merchants, received a consignment of fine Queensware, shipped from Austria. It arrived in early April. It had been ordered in March 1914, and had been in transit for a little over two years.
J. H. Goetz moved his shoe repairing establishment from South Jefferson Street to a room at the rear of the National Hotel, on the West Baltimore Street side. He would continue to serve his many patrons at the new location.
As a result of informal complaints made to the Public Service Commission, a number of street railway systems throughout the state had begun enforcing the rule that lighted cigars and cigarettes may not be carried into trolley cars. It would be strictly enforced in the local area.
Contractor Shank began work on the dismantling of the former Echo Pilot building on West Baltimore Street, recently sold by the Kreps Estate to Samuel P. Hostetter. The site would be occupied by a modern, three-story building, with stores on the first floor and apartments above.