Remembering 1916, Part III
By SHARON BAUMBAUGH
During the regular September meeting of Town Council, held in Council Hall on North Washington Street, Scott B. Walter, the well known North Carlisle Street brick manufacturer [History's Echoes, July 28, 2015], was unanimously elected a member of council to succeed John H. Hostetter, who had resigned. The Street Committee was instructed to make an inspection of the streets and report what repairs were necessary. Treasurer Clary reported $75 in the borough treasury.
The Adamson Eight-Hour-Day Bill was signed by the railroad as the price of calling off the nationwide strike ordered on a Monday that month. Signed by President Woodrow Wilson, the ceremony was held in his private railroad car at Union Station in Washington, D.C.
S.W. Yingling, Welsh Run creamery man, closed his business and would dispose of the machinery. Mr. Yingling would move to Greencastle soon, and be connected with the Echo Pilot Newspaper as business manager.
Jacob Nicarry received his big auto-bus and placed the car in service hauling twenty passengers to Waynesboro. He would put it in regular service hauling employees to and from the Waynesboro shops.
Local grocers won prizes from a large breakfast food company for selling large amounts of their product. Winners awarded prizes were Witmer & Bro., first place, selling 216 packages; B.H. Daley, second; and N.L. Kuhn, third.
A. Baker Barnhart, the South Carlisle Street grocer, sold his large store, stock of merchandise, good will and fixtures, to Bruce H. Daley, North Carlisle Street resident. Mr. Daley had recently retired from business in Bino, in Montgomery Township, and had moved to town. Mr. Barnhart had been engaged in retail business in Greencastle and Antrim for the previous 27 years. He had been associated with his brothers, C.E. Barnhart on East Baltimore Street, and U.B. Barnhart on South Carlisle Street, merchandising in the Heilman Block on Center Square.
Dr. Guy W. Davison would leave Greencastle for New Orleans, La., where he would set sail for Bluefields in Nicaragua. He was to go to La Luz Gold Mines, where he would serve as the company's physician.
The window display in the D.F. Ryder Hardware Store on Center Square (now part of ELM Department Store), was receiving a great deal of attention. The central figure was a boy dressed in overalls, with an apple picker's sack over his shoulder filled with a number of branches from apple trees clipped from the Omwake Orchard. The artistic display included one branch with 50 apples still clinging to the limb.
The quarantine denying entry of any children under the age of 16 years to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, was lifted in October. The quarantine had been in force for 60 days. Only children with certificates of health had been permitted to cross the boundary.
Tyler M. Petrie, 5-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Petrie, residing along the Middleburg Pike, was discovered to be a victim of infantile paralysis. The child's right leg and thigh were paralyzed. The case was diagnosed by Dr. D.C.R. Miller, State Line, and confirmed by Dr. C.R. Scheller, county health officer. The house had to be quarantined.
A New Motor bus line, with a chauffeur at the wheel, started form the Square in Mercersburg, then would leave Hagerstown each day taking the Middleburg Road. The new transport would pass through Middleburg, Greencastle and Upton on the return trip.
The Cumberland Valley Utilities Company was the new name of the concern that would take over the Chambersburg, Greencastle & Waynesboro Trolley line. The Chambersburg & Shippensburg Trolley, Waynesboro gas plant, Waynesboro electric light plant, the Greencastle electric light and the Shippensburg gas and electric light companies were included in the change.
The mail boxes placed over the town were put into use that same month. The routes were begun by the local carriers, Greencastle now having a complete daily collection and delivery service.
A train carrying a party of Prohibition speakers passed through Greencastle Nov. 1. The train would arrive in Center Square by mid-afternoon. The train stopped at the north end of the Square with the observation car facing south. Candidates for President and Vice President, Messrs. Hanley and Landis, would be the speakers for all those who would gather to hear what they had to say.
The Rev. Dr. James W. Gilland, Antrim native, and brother of Dr. J.C. Gilland of town, and of M.M., David and George Gilland, all of Antrim, was unanimously elected president of the Pennsylvania Synod of the Presbyterian Church in session at Easton. The new president had pastored the First Presbyterian Church of Shamokin for 32 years.
Landlord William Barkdoll sold the National Hotel property on Center Square and West Baltimore Street, including fixtures, good will and real estate, to J.R. Wortman of Roanoke, Va. The new owner would take possession and operate the hotel as soon as the liquor license could be transferred.
At a meeting of the Franklin County Suffrage League, held in Waynesboro, it was reported by Mrs. E.O. McLanahan, East Baltimore Street, head of the local movement, that out of 33 persons who had signed the yellow suffrage slips there had only been three active workers. In Waynesboro it was reported that out of 40 signers, only six made good.
Dr. C.M. Strickler, the North Elm Lane veterinarian, found among some old papers, a Tavern License for 1833. It had been issued to his grandfather, Henry Wilhelm, for the operation of the tavern along the Mercersburg Turnpike at Upton.
The Lemasters National Bank would close its doors in December. Enos D. Myers was cashier. The bank was in the hands of the National Bank examiner checking the institution's financial standing. While no statement had been given, it was known that the bank was deeply involved in operations of Clyde E. Coons of the Ft. Loudon Railroad, and it was thought probable that a $100 assessment on the stockholders would be required in order to enable to the bank to pay its obligations.
The Bell Telephone system was handing out Christmas presents to some of its friends in the form of glass bells. These were to be used as paperweights.
Dr. T.H. Gilland, East Baltimore Street, had installed in his office elaborate x-ray and violet-ray machines. The x-ray was the first of its type to be added to a local physician's office.
A suggestion, made by year's end, which met with a great deal of approval, to observe Monday, Jan. 1, 1917 as a complete holiday. It was now the custom in other towns to have this day marked as a holiday and so Greencastle was joining others in the Cumberland Valley. The banks would close; the post office hours restricted; the Cumberland Valley Railroad freight depot would close, except for the delivery of perishable freight; all local freight trains were annulled; and business, in general, was suspended for a complete closing down for the day. The idea was that the closings would not make a big difference in the year's volume of business while, on the other hand, it would give the local business men and their clerks the day off 'in which to recuperate from the rush of toil that had been their lot' that December of 1916.