LOCAL LIST: Live Nativities
While Christmas lighting displays seem to be everywhere, the chance to experience a “live nativity” is fairly unique in our community. There are a some scheduled this season.
The first nativity scene, the ultimate re-enactment, is credited to Saint Francis of Assisi in the year 1223. His re-creation followed a trip to the Holy Land and a visit to the birthplace of Jesus. St. Francis’ inspiration was aimed at cultivating the worship of Christ.
This coming weekend has a number of live nativity displays in action, including one in Shady Grove. Most are collecting non-perishable foods for donation to food banks. Here’s the list:
1. Hurley Auctions, 2800 Buchanan Trail E., Greencastle (just east of Shady Grove), from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Dec. 17 and 18.
2. Fairview Ward building of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 11887 Mentzer Gap Road, Waynesboro, 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 19.
3. Welty Church of the Brethren, 13465 Greensburg Road, Smithsburg, Md., 6 to 8 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 19.
4. St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, Williamsport, Md., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 19 and 20.
5. Marion Mennonite Church, 4365 Molly Pitcher Highway South, Chambersburg, 6:30-9:30 p.m.. Thursday, Dec. 24.