LOCAL LIST: Home package delivery
Who doesn't like to get a package, especially at Christmas. That goes for thieves as well.
With the rise in online shopping comes an increased opportunity for snatching of packages left by delivery people at doors or mailboxes. Pennsylvania State Police reported a number of residents at a senior complex in Cumberland County had packages stolen form their porch and mailbox areas. And a State Line woman had an iPad mini taken from outside her door.
There a some ways you can attempt to keep your deliveries safe:
• If available, arrange delivery that requires a signature so the package won't be left at an empty house.
• Have a neighborhood watch program where you look out for other’s deliveries.
• Delivery at your place of employment is an option if the boss allows it.
• Put insurance on packages that contain especially valuable items.
• Tracking on delivery is helpful to know the exact location of your package and when it is delivered. Some companies offer text notification of delivery.
• Special instructions on where to place the package at your home by the delivery company can help put the item out of sight from the road and away form the eyes of opportunistic thieves.