Man stopped in Greencastle after police chase apprehended

ZACH GLENN, The Record Herald
Timothy Charles Bickham Jr.

A Waynesboro man who allegedly led police on a high speed chase April 13 through Washington Township, Waynesboro and Greencastle is behind bars after he was apprehended by Pennsylvania State Police Tuesday.

Timothy Charles Bickham Jr. of 263 Park St. was charged with a felony count of fleeing of attempting to elude police, a misdemeanor count of recklessly endangering another person and a list of other offenses that range from driving too fast to careless driving. He is currently awaiting a preliminary hearing in the Franklin County Jail.

New details released

Police uncovered new details about the case during  interviews and found that Bickham Jr. was attempting to flee police by getting to the home of Jessica Samick in Greencastle. Samick was interviewed by police the night of the pursuit and denied knowing Bickham’s whereabouts. She also allowed police to search her home, but nothing was found.

During the pursuit Bickham was forced to abandon his vehicle after a crash and fled on foot, hiding in a field from police until the trail grew cold. Police were able to find the field he was hiding in using K-9 units, but were unable to pinpoint his exact location.

While state police left the field to respond to another call, Bickham checked into a Super 8 Motel at 4:10 a.m. and left the motel later in the morning, according to court documents.

Bickham was picked up by a woman in a white vehicle who was later determined to be Samick, according to police.

Drug charges for this case are also pending after Washington Township police found two straws with a white power on them in Bickham’s impounded vehicle. The straws were sent to state police for testing and drug paraphernalia charges could be added if the straws test positive for drug residue.

How the chase started

Pursuit of Bickham began when Washington Township police were called to investigate a suspicious vehicle on Ironwood Drive in Washington Township at 2:41 a.m. When officers arrived, there was no one in the car and the people involved had been picked up by another vehicle.

An officer attempted to stop the other vehicle near the intersection of Old Forge Road and Ironwood Drive.

Bickham, who was allegedly driving the vehicle, refused to comply and led officers on a high-speed pursuit via Old Forge Road and Buchanan Trail East, through the borough of Waynesboro and toward Greencastle.

Greencastle police deployed stop sticks near 853 Buchanan Trail East. The vehicle struck the sticks, puncturing one of the tires. The vehicle crashed after it attempted to make a left turn onto John Wayne Drive and jumped over the curb.

Police detained two people at the crash who did not flee the car. They have since been identified as William Lee Socks and Taylor Lynn Guilfoyle. No charges are on record for Guilfoyle, but Socks has been charged with driving without a license.

Contact Zach Glenn at 717-762-2151, or on Twitter: @zglenn_RH