Cabin at Conococheague Institute destroyed by fire

Staff Writer
Echo Pilot
Firefighters clean up following a Monday morning fire at the historic cabin on the property of the Conococheague Institute off Bain Road. The shell of the cabin was torn down because of safety concerns. A fundraising campaign is already underway to rebuild.

Conococheague Institute officials are vowing to rebuild after a fire that gutted an historic log cabin on the Welsh Run area property early Monday morning, Feb. 29.

Passing motorists reported the blaze in the 1837 structure, called the Eliab Negley House, which was a focal point of the frontier living farmstead at 12995 Bain Road, Mercersburg.

The Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren Volunteer Fire Company battled the 6:30 a.m. fire with assistance from other departments. The shell of the cabin remained after the flames were doused, but out of safety concerns what remained was razed.

Officials said embers from the fireplace are suspected as the cause of the fire.

No injuries were reported. Re-enacters had been at the site during the weekend, but had left the property.

A gofundme.com website has been established to raise money for the rebuilding of the cabin. As of 8 p.m. Wednesday, March 2, $300 had been pledged toward a $50,000 goal.