Veterans Day ceremonies share value of freedom

PAT FRIDGEN, Echo Pilot
The color guard for the Greencastle Veterans Day program included, from left: Duane Schroyer, Joe Fye, Dale Schroyer, Terry Ellis, Steven Brown and Dale Sheller.

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.”

Greencastle Veterans Day speaker Lt. Col. Shannon Driscoll, a resident student at the U.S. Army War College in Carlisle, quoted former president Ronald Reagan on the need to fight for freedom, or people will tell their children’s children what it used to be like to be free.

The 1.4 million active military was just 0.5 percent of the population, the smallest number to ever serve. Driscoll said it was necessary to show the importance of Veterans Day to the remaining 99.5 percent.

Proud moments of his military career included dropping bombs on an Al Queda training camp, and being among troops welcomed back at BWI at 2 a.m. by hundreds of people. He stressed passing on the value of military service or a career to the youngest generation.

He concluded with a Reagan thought, “If we lose freedom, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.”

Driscoll said Veterans Day was to celebrate America and the gift of individual freedom.

The 11 a.m. ceremony on Nov. 11 at borough hall was sponsored by VFW Post 6319, with assistance from American Legion Post 373.