Oller House decorated and open for the season
The Victorian-era Oller House at 138 W. Main St., the headquarters of the Waynesboro Historical Society, is decorated for the holidays, and the public is invited to stop in to enjoy a free tour, a vintage train and light refreshments served up by board members and volunteers.
The open houses are scheduled from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the next two Saturdays, Dec. 4 and 11.
Members of Delta Y-Gradale sorority have decorated the front parlor and music room around the theme "Teddy Bears." "Beary" colorful ornaments and decorations adorn the large tree and the fireplace mantles. Vintage Fisher-Price toys are on loan from Vic and Sherry Moon, and the decor also features three antique bears on loan from Pat Jacobs. Board member Helen Shelley and Bonnie Damazo added the finishing touches in the dining room, entry hall and staircase.
On the sleeping porch on the second floor, Charlie Kauffman will be operating the vintage train and layout he donated last year to the historical society.
The open houses are being held this year in lieu of the members' reception.
The Oller House remained in the Oller family for 100 years and was never altered, so it retains the fine architectural details installed when it was built in 1891-92.
The original owners were Joseph J. Oller, a noted industrialist and local bank executive, and his wife, Myrtle (Funk) Oller. The Ollers' oldest child, daughter Rello Oller, lived in the home until her death in 1992, when the house became the property of the Waynesboro Historical Society.
Today, it houses a large collection of genealogical information and other material related to the history of the Waynesboro area.