Heritage Christmas home tour features four residences, church Sunday
Four homes and a church will be decorated for the Greencastle-Antrim Heritage Christmas Home Tour on Sunday, Dec. 15 from 1 to 5 p.m. Tickets are on sale now at the Chamber of Commerce and Carl’s Drug Store, for $15. They will be sold at the Holiday House, Center Square, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the day of the tour for $20.
The featured properties include:
Roy Plank and Keith Dorsey, 128 Shinham Road. The residence sits on slightly over an acre of manicured lawns. The house has 6,000 square feet of living space and 2,500 square feet of garage and storage space. The original home was built in 1960 by Richard Cochran, manager of Appalachian Lamb Co. It was energy efficient for the time. After Plank and Dorsey purchased the home in 2000, they put on an addition with exterior walls of concrete. The exterior looks like a country chateau, and the interior is formal. Decorations include flocked Christmas trees, glass ornaments, and faux ice set among oil lamps, patterned glassware and a mix of furniture. The south glass wall allows a view of a koi pond, Muddy Run, and perhaps some wildlife.
Alan and Kendra Meyers, Tidy Brook Farms, 148 Meyers Road. The century family farm was purchased by Alan’s great-grandfather Lloyd Meyers in 1911. The limestone farmhouse sits on 85 acres, crafted by German stonemasons in 1760. The Hade family lived there during the Civil War. A Confederate soldier married one of the daughters, so a brick mason house was added in the late 1800s to accommodate the growing family. The Meyers tore down the brick house in 2011 and added a great room. Flooring came from the original homestead. A 14-foot Christmas tree has become a family tradition. The walls are adorned with trophies from the avid hunters, including an African safari.
Dewey and Cara Sheaffer, DuCar Farm, 123 Kauffman Road E. The Shaeffers purchased the estate in 2006 from a non-profit organization that had not been able to maintain the home or land. Renovations took six months before they were able to move in. The 1767 home was built by Humphrey Fullerton, an industrialist and the first judge of Cumberland County. With 5,600 square feet, it sits on 24 acres and has 15 rooms that includes a foyer, parlor, library, office, formal dining, kitchen, four bedrooms, three baths, two laundry rooms, and three sitting rooms. Terraces and porches provide places to relax. Outbuildings include a limestone barn and smokehouse, and wagon shed with corn cribs. The 2,300 square foot spring house is now a tenant house with three fireplaces and a glass floor over the spring.
Gerry and Pam Lute, White Hall Manor, 501 E. Baltimore St. In 1910 Francis Winger Davison purchased a building lot from Jacob Shank, and put only her name on the deed. She constructed a grand antebellum-style plantation mansion. Electricity was available but a large tank was installed on the third floor to collect rain water from the roof. She and her husband William moved into the house in February 1911, with a butler, cook, maid and chauffeur. William’s name was put on the deed in 1954. The house was purchased by Alice and Orville Sollenberger in 1962, and they put in an elevator, and remodeled the kitchen. Successive owners were Lee and John Bolen, and Brad and Jill Fulton, who made modern improvements. The Lutes took over in 2007 and put on a three-story addition, including a sun room, bathrooms and other updates. Landscaping was done and a fountain was installed in a flower garden.
The Life Center, 35 N. Carlisle St., pastors David and Catherine Pence. They started TLC in September 2006 in Serenity Café, which later became Pure & Simple Cafe. The church relocated to the Greencastle fire hall, then to a small church on Baltimore Street. The couple acquired the Susquehanna Bank building in 2013 and renovated it for the TLC Learning Center.