Shatzer Fruit Market observes milestone
Shatzer Fruit Market and Orchards, 2197 Lincoln Way E., Chambersburg, is observing 75 years in business.
Originally the Reisher homestead farm and orchards, the business was started by W. O. Bingham in 1932 and in January 1933 Edison and Martha Shatzer moved to the farm to work for him.
In 1934 more orchards were planted. The Shatzers also milked cows and sold butter, buttermilk, eggs, jellies and fruit from the front porch.They operated a summer market for fruits and vegetables.
The Shatzers became owners of the business in 1945 and eventually phased out milking to devote their efforts to more orchards and a larger fruit market, which is open up to nine months during the year.
Daughter Wilma and her husband Jack Mickey, and their son Dwight took over in 1971.
Dwight Mickey graduated from Shippensburg University with a degree in business management. He utilizes modern technology to manage the fruit industry, including hydrothermograph tracking of plant conditions, integrated crop management using beneficial insects, mating disruption and some trickle irrigation.
Shatzer Fruit Market offers the harvest of its fields: sweet cherries, apricots, plums, peaches, pears and apples. Their products are tailored to meet the needs of current consumers, who seek snacks and prepared foods. The Mickeys also offer a personal touch with their service to customers.
Jack and Dwight Mickey are active in the Pennsylvania Fruit Growers Association, and are officers in the Franklin County Fruit Grower Society. Wilma Mickey manages the market and handles accounting for the business.
The orchard has received awards at the Pennsylvania Farm Show and the family has achieved Master Gardener status.
The Mickeys thank local residents for their support over the past 75 years.