GREENCASTLE – They're 6-0 for a reason.
The Shippensburg Greyhounds showcased a physical brand of football Friday night that simply proved too much for Greencastle-Antrim, with the Greyhounds shutting out the Blue Devils 39-0 in a Mid-Penn Colonial Division varsity football game at Kaley Field.
Ship leaned on a talented front both ways, creating holes offensively while silencing G-A's attempt at establishing a running game. In contrast, the unbeaten Greyhounds (now 3-0 in the division) were very efficient on the ground, utilizing several different ball carriers to wear down the Blue Devils (1-5, 0-3 MPC).
The duo of Jacob Loy and Alex Sharrow headlined Ship's rushing attack, with Loy finding the end zone three times while Sharrow took center stage in the second half. Sharrow finished with 98 yards to Loy's 97.
The Greyhounds also sprinkled in the likes of Isaiah Houser and Christian Melendez, posing problems for a G-A team that continues to struggle tackling upon first contact.
– Ship's Nick Gustafson made a tremendous catch for the Greyhounds' first score. Gustafson appeared blanketed by two Blue Devil defenders only to come down with a contested grab while still inbounds for a 19-yard touchdown reception from Zack Manning.
– G-A's Robert McCune recovered a fumble at the Blue Devil 5-yard line late in the first quarter to end another Ship scoring threat.
– Capitalizing on great starting field position, Ship cashed in to extend its lead early in the second quarter. Loy capped the short drive with a 3-yard touchdown run for a 14-0 advantage with 9:18 left in the opening half.
– Ship pushed its margin to three touchdowns on a 1-yard Loy scoring run late in the second frame. The touchdown was set up by two splash plays for the Greyhounds, including a 50-yard run on a reverse by Houser and a 25-yard gallop by Melendez.
– After nice timeout usage by Ship near the end of the half, the Greyhounds were positioned to add to their lead before a sack by Greencastle's Landon Searles sent the teams to the locker room with the 21-0 differential.
– Quarterback Zach Cole hit Adam Root in stride for a 44-yard gain midway through the third quarter, accounting for G-A's best play of the night.
– Sharrow broke loose twice during a Shippensburg scoring drive in the third. The senior ripped off a 37-yard burst before showcasing a sensational cut back en route to a 22-yard touchdown and a 27-0 Greyhound lead. The point after failed.
– Sharrow continued to shine on Ship's next possession, sprinting nearly untouched for a 21-yard score to extend Ship's margin to 33-0.
– Following G-A's third turnover-on-downs of the second half, the Greyhounds implemented a running clock with 10 minutes remaining. Loy found the end zone for a third time, making it 39-0 in the fourth.
– G-A's Taylor Conrad had a pair of nice pass breakups while Tyler Thuahnai was all over the field defensively for the Blue Devils.
NEXT: G-A travels to Big Spring for a Colonial Division game next Friday.
Contact Ben Destefan at email@example.com, 717-762-2151 or on Twitter: @bdestefan_RH